VanessaNorth

Vanessa's Reads

I'm a writer who reads a lot. I get crushes on words. I can be NSFW. Come here, let me smell your books.

Unhinge the Universe - Aleksandr Voinov, L.A. Witt Wow... lots of thoughts to come on this one, but mostly just Wow.Things I really liked about this story: Witt and Voinov deal with some very difficult power/control issues with extreme sensitivity, to the point where even though my dub-con buttons should have been being pushed--and hard--they weren't. This was really nice to see, and very deftly done. While this is a war story, and there is plenty of action, it remains a very tense, talky book. The tension in the story and the emotional wallops come not from the action, but from the dialogue and the non-verbal yet personal interactions between the two men. When the action sequences occur, they are not gratuitous or overwrought, instead they lend a certain poignancy to the rest of the story, a reminder that the stakes for John and Hagen are very high.All in all a very gripping read, one which I devoured in a matter of hours because I couldn't put it down. Definitely to be read and reread soon.